For the pastry:
200g plain flour
100g vegetable margarine
½ tsp dried mixed herbs
For the filling:
350g peeled squash, cut into small chunks
2 red onions
4 spring onions
50g cheddar cheese
150ml single cream
Generous tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme
Approx 70ml vegetable stock
Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- In large bowl add flour, margarine and dried mixed herbs
- Rub fat into flour and add just enough cold water to bring together into soft but not wet dough. Set aside in cool place.
- Add butter to large pan, heat gently then add sliced red onions and spring onions, cooking over low heat for 5/10 minutes until beginning to soften
- Next add squash chunks to the pan with the vegetable stock, cover and cook on low heat until squash is soft. Stir frequently and add a little extra stock, if necessary,to prevent squash from sticking
- While squash is cooking roll out pastry and fit into 9” flan dish.
- When squash is soft, remove pan from heat and stir in cream, grated cheese, chopped thyme and seasoning.
- Spoon into flan dish and cook for approx 25-30 minutes at 200oC/400oF/Gas mark 6.
- Serve hot with vegetables or is good cold with salad etc.