Saturday 17 September 2011

Tip of the Week: Fresh Yeast

To make great home made bread I find that there is no comparison between fresh yeast and the dried yeast granules. Fresh yeast produces a lighter dough which rises quickly and slices well.

I get my supply of fresh yeast from my local Tesco. It is completely free - just ask at the bakery. If you don't have a large Tesco it is also possible to buy fresh yeast in health stores.

You will probably be given a large lump (3-4 ounces) of fresh yeast. You can freeze any yeast you do not immediately require. My advice would be to cut the yeast into ready portions, each one enough for a regular loaf. When using allow the portion of yeast to defrost at room temperature and proceed in the usual way. The dough may take a little longer to rise but it still produces a good quality loaf.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment