The recipe below is one I use when I have a surplus of potatoes. It is richly flavoured and wonderfully filling on a cold autumn evening.
5-6 large potatoes
100g mature cheddar cheese
1 large onion
2tbsp single cream
3 large sprigs of fresh rosemary
Salt/Pepper to taste
- Grease a large oven dish or slow cooker with butter or butter-like margarine.
- Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks.
- Place potatoes in dish. Drizzle with milk and single cream.
- Cover evenly with sliced onions and roughly chopped rosemary.
- Sprinkle the dish with the grated cheddar, salt and ground pepper to taste. Add small knobs of butter.
- Now cook the dish
o If using oven dish, cover loosely with a sheet of tin foil. Cook for 30 minutes at Gas mark 6 then reduce to Gas Mark 3 and leave to cook slowly until potatoes are soft and brown.
o If using a slow cooker, first cook for 30 minutes on a high setting and then reduce to a lower heat and leave until potatoes are soft and brown.
Cooking Tip – For this dish to be really tasty, it needs to be cooked long and slow.
The finished dish: