At the moment I can't get enough of this next recipe! These are slightly sweet corn rolls, perfect warm with butter or in this case topped with scrambled egg, herbs and cheese for breakfast. I have also been eating them for lunch with cheese and salad. The rolls hold their shape well when filled.
Makes 8 large or 12 small rolls
2tbsp golden syrup
40g melted butter
450g strong white plain flour
140g polenta (cornmeal)
350ml warm water
- Cream the yeast and dissolve it in the warm water in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the salt, golden syrup, melted butter, polenta and half the flour.
- Beat using a wooden spoon until smooth and combined.
- Add the remaining flour, a little at a time to make a smooth and moist dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and set in a warm place to rise until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 190oC/375oF/Gas Mark 5.
- Punch the dough down and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly. Shape the rolls and place them on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Allow the rolls to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes until the rolls sound hollow when tapped underneath.
- Turn onto a wire rack to cool.