This recipe is a real family favourite which I have been cooking for years. If plenty of potatoes are added and the meal is served with green vegetables it should easily serve 4 people.
I tend to use tofu from Cauldron Foods, they have a great range of vegetarian and vegan products. Their standard tofu pack (396g) is available in most supermarkets and is the perfect size to use for the recipe below.
396g block of firm tofu
2 x 400g tins of plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 tbsp tomato puree
1tbsp olive oil
1tbsp olive oil
250g well flavoured cheddar cheese
3 or 4 red onions thinly sliced
4 large potatoes peeled and quartered or several small new potatoes
2tsp dried mixed herbs or 1 generous tbsp of chopped fresh herbs e.g. thyme, oregano, marjoram
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Slice the tofu block through the middle so you have 2 slices
2. Put one of the tofu slices in the middle of the slow cooker or in a large oven dish with a lid.
3. Put slices of mozzarella on top of the tofu then half of the cheddar sliced.
4. Finish off with the final layer of tofu.
5. Pour over the tinned tomatoes. Add the tablespoon of olive oil.
6. Add tomato puree around the sides of the dish with a couple of tablespoons of water.
7. Place the sliced onions in the tomato mix around the tofu
8. Grate the remaining cheese and sprinkle evenly over the dish
9. Sprinkle on herbs and season well
10. Turn slow cooker on high for approx 1 hour then turn to low and cook for several hours more until dish is reduced and flavours concentrated. Or cook for one hour at gas mark 6/400F/200C then reduce to gas mark 3/325F/170C.
11. About 2/3 hours before you are ready to eat, add potatoes to the pot, placing around the sides of the tofu block and drizzle with some of the tomato mix.
12. Serve with green vegetables, such as broccoli or green beans.